I’ve recently been liking a product that I never thought would ever come under my radar, the Percy & Reed Volumising Mousse. I usually, 99.99% of the time wear my hair straight but there is the odd moment when I enjoy some curls.
Curls however, are hard to wear, especially for my thick unruly hair. They are hard to keep interesting, bouncy and naturally voluminous but the Percy & Reed Volumising Mousse has actually been the great tool for the job.
Clearly, there are many others out there who feel this way too, as this is one of those products that is highly rated on many different websites.
Let’s have a look at the details.
The Percy & Reed products are in general super cute. They almost always have a beautiful cartoon lady drawing and look elegant, sleek and professional.
The mousse bottle looks gorgeous and the coloured cartoon design looks luxurious and elegant. The Percy & Reed products always stand out of other hair products and immediately give you that sense of luxury.
The bottle itself is made of Aluminium metal (which can be recycled) and it comes with a mousse pump. The pump dispenses the product easily and evenly as a fine silky mousse and it also doesn’t require a lot of effort to press.
Colour and Texture
The Percy & Reed Volumising Mousse has a silky smooth mousse texture which is very easy to spread and super fun to play with. What?!
This mousse has a pleasant sweet and soft scent which works well for the type of product it is. The scent comes from the added fragrance in the product.
This 200mL bottle retails for £12.50. It’s definitely not as cheap as drugstore mousses but for a high-end brand and the results it offers, it is pretty cheap!
Hair and skin compatibility
This product is compatible for all hair and skin types. There are no ingredients specific for one hair or skin type over another, except perhaps if your skin is too sensitive, you might want try a little of this spray first, as it contains fragrance and other common skin sensitisers.
Practicality of use – user experience
The Percy & Reed Volumising Mousse is very easy to use. The pump doesn’t require a lot of strength and the mousse is silky smooth. It has a strong consistency in terms of not running of the hand but it’s also super soft and easy to spread around the hair.
This mousse gives hair a natural volume which lasts for days and doesn’t make the hair look or feel dirty. A great volumising mousse!
It wouldn’t be ethical if we didn’t talk about the credibility of this section. It is very hard to impossible most of the time to verify the information or credibility of the sources, so please take this section with a pinch of salt unless stated otherwise. This section is not meant to be definitive and is most likely more about reputation around those subjects than credible information. If you have additional or more correct information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No brand specific information available.
Environmental: The product packaging is made of Aluminium which can be recycled.
The Percy & Reed Volumising Mousse doesn’t have a lasts for xM date.
Here’s what the brand says about the product:
“Go large, ladies, and supersize your style!”
Percy & Reed Abundantly Bouncy Volumising Mousse is a little beauty that gives your hair extreme, lasting volume. Forget your mother’s hair mousse; this is a modern take that gives your hair body and volume without leaving that stiff, sticky feeling. It gives a light and natural feel thanks to its creamy, moisturising texture.
The rich, creamy foam contains styling polymers that add body and volume to your lengths while smoothing, moisturising and protecting your hair against the pesky elements. Even when you build incredible height into your hair, it’ll stay light and natural thanks to its creamy texture.
Go supersize in all the right ways.
- Modern, creamy styling foam formula
- Provides pliable volume to lengths and medium hold for natural movement
- Protects hair colour through UV filtering
- Gives Soft, fuller, bouncier hair
HOW TO USE
- Shake can well before use.
- Dispense a golf-ball-size amount into your palms, rub them together and ‘pull’ the mousse all the way through towel-dried hair from roots to tips with fingers or a comb (Apply a little more at the roots if you want extra volume). For best results use a wide-toothed comb to distribute mousse evenly and gently comb through the lengths of the hair.
- Dry and style as usual”
The Percy & Reed Volumising Mousse is not exactly a nutritious product but then again it doesn’t need to be because hair out of the follicle (so out of the skin) is dead anyways! What this product does well though is be minimal and effective.
- Aqua (Water) based formulation.
- Butane – This is a propellant ingredient, a big part of creating the spray mist.
- VP/VA copolymer – A film former which allows hair to hold a style longer.
- Propane – A propellant.
- Isobutane – Also a propellant.
- Polysorbate-20 – Primarily has formulation roles but can also act as a lubricant giving a soothing effect on the skin.
- Cocamidopropylamine oxide – A hair and skin conditioner.
- Polyquaternium-16 – Anti-static, film former and hair fixative.
- Quaternium-52 – Anti-static and hair conditioner.
- Benzophenone-4 – A UVA and B absorber but is not adequate protection when used on its own.
- Parfum/fragrance – This ingredient represents an undisclosed mixture of compounds that give the product scent. There’re more than 3000 molecules that fall under this category and I personally do not like that there are some ingredients that are undisclosed and hidden under this general name. Fragrance also does not offer any skin care benefit, in fact there is some evidence that it can damage the skin.
Ingredients that can cause irritation to some:
This is actually really case specific, as different people have different sensitivities and allergies. Just because a compound has been reported by some to cause sensitivity, it doesn’t mean you will have an issue. “Sensitizer” compounds being present is not a negative in my opinion, as this is the case with pretty much everything out there and funnily enough I’ve seen products that are targeted specifically for sensitive skin, containing some compounds that have been reported by some, or are known to be, sensitizers.
If you have sensitive skin or you are prone to skin sensitisation and unwanted reactions, try a little bit of this at the back of your hand first and consult a medical doctor if you are concerned.
The following compounds present in this mousse have been either proven or claimed by some to be sensitizers, irritants, allergens etc: Butane, Propane, Isobutane, Polysorbate-20, Phenoxyethanol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Parfum, Linalool.
Full list of ingredients
Aqua (Water), Butane, VP/VA copolymer, Propane, Isobutane, Polysorbate-20, Cocamidopropylamine oxide, Phenoxyethanol (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Polyquaternium-16, Parfum, Quaternium-52, Benzophenone-4, Linalool.
If you are looking for a mousse to keep your curls bouncy and full of volume but still natural and not sticky, then the Percy & Reed Volumising Mousse is the product for you!
I am not affiliated with any company or brand. These are my views and experiences.
Beauty is a very personal thing, we all have different skin, requirements and biological build which can influence things. What worked for me might not work for you and vice versa. Have you ever tried these products? Did they work for you? Let me know your experiences below!
Running a blog takes a lot of time, money and effort. Become a Bonds of Beauty patron by buying me a coffee or sponsoring a post! Your support is highly appreciated.
This article is from www.bonds-of-beauty.com. Click below to find me on: